Sunday, November 9, 2008

Excitement and Encouragement







Dear fellow quilters,
This past week has been filled with positive experiences for me.
I logged on to http://www.quiltwoman.com/ and found three of my patterns listed on the website. If you search "Chicken Soup Designs", you'll find me there. It's pretty exciting to know that my patterns are being published and distributed on a much wider basis now. In a future blog, I will offer a lesson on tulle applique, one of the the techniques I use in many of my patterns that makes the applique look hand done, even though it is accomplished entirely by machine.

I also attended A Quilter's Gathering in Nashua, NH. This was their 20th anniversary year. I have been going every year saying "I should put one of my quilts in this show." So I finally got the courage to submit three of my quilts and they were juried into the show.
Another NE Quilt Designers member, Beth Helfter, had quilts in the show as well. It pleases me to know such talented people as Beth! I heard lots of folks oohhing and aahhing as they looked at her work!

"Tropical Whimsy" (pictured above) is a brightly colored quilt that I made for my daughter Amy. It won a third place ribbon for Color Compatibility. I was very surprised and pleased to have been recognized. It was such a joy to work on this quilt because the colors made me happy. When I was quilting it I just let the creativity flow! I am currently working on writing the directions for this quilt, and the pattern is slated to be published by Quiltwoman in the future. I am looking for someone to be a pattern tester for this design. If you are interested, please e-mail me at chickensoupdesigns@yahoo.com
The other two quilts I entered were "Autumnal Equinox" and "Ti-Lung, the Chinese Dragon". (Also pictured above)
"Autumnal Equinox" is also an award winner, receiving the Founder's Choice award at the Southern New Hampshire Quilt Festival in 2007. I came up with the dragon design while I was working on a row robin for my guild. It is very different from anything I had ever done before, and I liked it so much I made a dragon for myself too!

It's been a great week! I look forward to blogging again soon!
Sincerely,
Kristi Parker
Chicken Soup Designs

2 comments:

Terri, Head Moose said...

Excellent Kristi, congrats on your ribbon. Having seen the Tropical quilt in person I can say that it's no surprise that it won!

And Kristi forgot to mention that it's her smiling face in the picture too - something we quilters seldom include in our photos!

Terri Sontra
Purple Moose Designs
http://www.PurpleMooseDesigns.com

Pickleweed said...

Congratulations on your ribbon Kristi, it is an exceptional design.
Joan