Saturday, June 28, 2008

Moments to Remember:




These past few months have brought me some awesome experiences - the kind that make you know that you are in exactly the right place and doing exactly what you are meant to be doing. No one could ask for anything more than that!

Here are some of the highlights: first - I spent a week at the AQS International Quilt Show in Paducah KY (the largest quilt show in the country, I believe). I was there with three friends (two of whom I had not seen in almost a year). We had a blast seeing the show and visiting all the vendors as well as seeing the sights in Paducah. What great fun! But one of the best part of the show for me was when I had a chance to visit the owner of an online business, Batiks by Design, with whom I had formed a partnership of sorts. We "met" when I had my second pattern, "Carousel" tested and my tester, Peggy "introduced" me to her friend, the owner, Patti Oakley because she thought my designs would look wonderful in Patti's batiks. And she was SO right! Patti has been very successful selling my patterns at all the major retail shows around the country, as well as on line and I made some of the samples for her business with her fabrics. We have been e-mailing back and forth for a number of months and then I had a chance to meet her in person at the AQS show and see my patterns all made up in the most beautiful traditional batiks imaginable (imported directly from Indonesia). I can't tell you how cool it was to see my designs on display and being sold at such a major show!
I invite you to visit Batiks by Design to see for yourself the outstanding fabrics available on her site, as well as many really nice patterns (including three of mine!!)
The most recent very cool experience I have had involves the same pattern ("Moon Glow"). I was coming home from visiting in Maine for a few days and stopped by Knights Quilt Shop in Cape Neddick (a quilt shop well worth going a bit out of your way for), where I have been wanting for some time to introduce my patterns . I had just missed the owner but presented my designs and Quilt Woman.com's catalog (my publisher) to the staff to pass along to the owner. One of these very friendly ladies saw my "Moon Glow" pattern and said: "I have seen this! Someone recently brought it into the shop to purchase the fabrics to make it and Michelle (the owner) saw it and loved it. I think we are going to order it!" Wow! How is that for a great reception and totally unexpected! Very gratifying.!
I guess I must be doing something right!
Cary Flanagan
Something Sew Fine Quilt Design




No comments: